Triana Ceramic Center
The production of ceramics in Sevilla has always been really important and very varied, based on products destined to the ornamental lining or with unctional like pots, bowls, vases, jars, etc. and has had a long historical tradition. The most important ceramics production center in Seville has been located since Roman times in the Triana, consolidated during the Muslim period.
At the beginning of the Renaissance there were several foreign potters who taught the ceramic art to the trianeros. At the beginning of the 19th century, the English merchant William Pickman opened in Sevilleestablishments for the import of stamped English dishes, he was succeeded by his brother Charles Pickman, who in 1838 began the manufacture of the same pieces in Seville occupying the Cartuja Monastery.
Sevillian ceramics had an important influence in the XVI on the commercial relations of Seville with the West Indies and with the rest of Europe. The immense riches that came from overseas commerce attracted Flemish merchants, Germants, etc., increasing the demand for works of art and decorative elements, including high quality ceramics.
Triana Ceramic Center was founded in 2014 by the City of Sevilla with the help of the Government of Andalucía. The main goal of this Ceramic Center is to preserve and promote the ceramic tradition in our city.
In 2009 the Governement suggested the change of the building from Ceramic Factory to Ceramic Center & Museum, they made a contest and a proposal called “Paisaje Alfar” won.
They restored the building and they inaugurated the Ceramic Center in 2014.
This center has ceramic pieces designed by Aníbal González that decorated the monumental Plaza de España, the well of water, the deposits of clay, the mills of minerals, the containers to store the prepared pigments, the potter’s wheel, the tables, themolds or the board where the painters decorated the great panels of tiles. These are, in all cases, old equipment belonging to the pottery factory of Santa Ana.